Thursday, January 27, 2011

Remembering Panditji



One of my earliest recollections of devotional music was a beautiful abhang "Majhe maher Pandhari" sung by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi. I was too young to realise the greatness of the legend back then but the voice and the bhaava left a long lasting impression on me. Panditji, was truly a magician when he perfomed. He could sing a serious Puriya Dhanashree Khayal with as much ease and beauty as he would render a Bhajan or an Abhang. He has truly been an inspiration and guide for many aspiring classical musicians. The impact and the musical legacy he has left behind is just too immensly great to put down in words.

This song Baaje Muraliya is one of my personal favourites which Panditji had rendered along with Lataji. This Bhajan tugs at the heartsrings and when you hear Panditji sing you truly can visualise Krishna mesmersing with his Murali(flute) in Vrindavan. This was one of the earliest Bhajans I had learnt and i can never thank my mother enough for pushing me to learn it even when I never really understood its lyrical or musical beauty.

This was one of my earliest performances of this song, sung many years back at a concert. With all its flaws and imperfections, this is still close to my heart as it was the first time I really felt the song and sang it, all the while panditji's rich melifluous voice ringing in the back of my mind.
Panditji, this one is my humble tribute to you.

10 comments:

  1. Tears rolled down my eyes while listening to this. This is undoubtedly one of the best tributes to Pandit Joshi. We truly lost a pillar in classical music. I would like thank aunty for making you learn this. Nice attempt on your part. Looking forward for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully expressed Jaya.. shows the depth of the song and the beauty of the lyrics and the raaga... Lovely I must say.. keep going girl.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akshay - yes truly we lost a pillar in classical music but his music will live on eternally! Thanks for you lovely words :)

    Uttara -thank you so much for your lovely words :) and m really glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just fantastic jaya..what a nice composition and wonderfully sung by u..kya baat hain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!! I've heard you sing in a couple of weddings. I am sorry but I did not know you were so very good in singing. After listening to all these now, I kinda feel you should be performing regularly. You give performances now as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parag- Thank you ! :) and hope you remember you must play for me sometime! :)

    Shobha - :) thats perfectly understandable ..our tam brahm family weddings is the most annoying place where our family asks you to start singing with 100 other sounds for background music.so i myself used to run away instead of singing.In shubha's wedding i had no choice..shuba n me were caught for deepa's wedding..i escaped due to cold she dint.So you wouldnt have heard me sing properly anywhere :) thank you and yes i do intend to start singing more frequently again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully expressed Jaya. The whole rendition transported me into another level. I just felt you're singing in a very restrained manner, so just ensure you open up your voice a little more. The write-up and the overall rendition shows the depth and the beauty of the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anuradha - Thanks a ton :) glad you enjoyed it and yes will surely keep your suggestion in mind :) thanks for that as well:) but again its one of my oldest performances..hopefully can upload a better version soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so melodious...truly sung from the heart as a tribute to the greatest in Hindustani classical...looking forward to more posts...God Bless...And I can't tell you how eagerly I wait for you classes every week:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you :) very glad you liked it :) And yes I too immensely enjoy doing your class as well :)

    ReplyDelete